Design your own database by customizing data to your unique needs
Member Relationships | Lending Optics | New Member Analytics
Customized fields via Unique Data Management (UDM) were developed by Asterisk Intelligence to support flexible data analytics and database strategies.
The Concept of Customizing Data
Consider the power of tracking customized information about a member’s life events and relationship with you…
Discussions about data analysis strategies within credit unions usually revolve around the possibilities of the insights from observing and examining data about your members and their interactions with your credit union. But eventually the conversations tend to circle back around to more questions that could only be answered with details about what your member is doing outside the credit union.
For the first time in CU*BASE, Unique Data Management – Custom Fields allows database managers, marketers, lenders, and front-line staff to branch out from the traditional name-rank-and-serial-number details in CU*BASE membership files to log social, relationship, and lifestyle data to use in member service and analytics.
Use these custom membership fields and the custom account fields to “fill in the gaps” in member accounts and to give your credit union data analysts and thinkers a new opportunity to design the core processing database of the future. You have the controls and can create these customized fields in-house!
Create and maintain unlimited custom membership information fields that are unique to your credit union.
You define the field name as well as the rules that control what data can be entered: dollar amounts, quantity, percentage, text, yes/no checkbox, date, or a defined list (the selections of which you will also define).
Here’s How Credit Unions Use it:
What have you always wished you knew about your membership? There’s no limit to the imagination with Custom Fields!
- Which college is your student member attending? What year will/did they graduate?
- Who attended your last Annual Meeting?
- Is there a specific savings goal (target balance) in mind for this account
- What are the key details (rate, balance, and institution) of the outside loan you just captured?
- Can you split the membership into dog lovers, cat lovers, or neither?
- How many kids does your member have? Grandkids?
- Is your member a veteran? What branch of the military? Served when?
Getting Started in 3 Easy Steps
- Tool Access – You will need to request access to the following tools from your credit union Security Officer:
- 1060 – Configure Custom Fields – Membership
- 1065 – Configure Custom Fields – Account
Don’t forget all credit unions have access to the Bedrock training environment – a great option for exploring if you want to try out the feature before creating your own plan for it.
- Plan and Document! – Formalize your strategy and any rules for using custom fields on either the membership- or account-level. Your custom data fields will see the greatest success if forethought and planning have gone into ensuring the following:
- Quality – Consistent formatting and purpose is identified for each field
- Management– Who will configure and maintain these fields? Who will train internal staff on location, use, and rules? How often will data fields be reviewed for purge or updates?
- Testing & Training – A period of testing should be considered before introducing front-line staff to any requirements for using your new Custom Fields. Once ready, an introduction to the fields is needed for any staff who will be required to use them, including the location of Custom Fields on a membership and the workflow to update or add an answer.
Contact Asterisk Intelligence for information about beginning to use Custom Fields at your credit union, or for assistance with recommendations and training.
Notes on Workflow
Entering the Data
Employees can enter in their answers for the custom fields via either Membership/Account Update options or in the New Member opening processes. Note that the Account opening process does not include an option for entering custom fields. However, opening and updating sub-accounts can occur within the same tool and it is very simple to switch over to the update section once a sub-account is created.
Viewing the Data
Any employee can view custom field entries via the main Inquiry and Phone Operator screens for any membership and account.