The following guidelines pertain to password-protecting the data on the CU*CD archival disks used for archiving credit union daily/monthly reports and member statements.
The purpose of these guidelines is to ensure reasonable and appropriate security measures are taken to protect the data available through the CU*CD archives.
- Passwords will be at least 8 characters in length, and will include at least one numeric digit while utilizing both upper and lower case letters.
- CU*Archives will determine the passwords utilizing a random password generating software.
- Password changes will be forced on an annual basis and the past passwords will not be reused.
- The passwords will be provided to the credit union prior to the end of each calendar year by the CU*Archives Department. They will then be effective for the full following calendar year.
- CU*Answers will keep all previous passwords versions available to their clients.
- The supplied passwords should be secured and never be kept in the same location as the data CD.
- When a credit union calls a CU*Answers employee to retrieve a lost password, the password will never be given out during that call. We will make a separate return phone call to the credit union to ensure that we are speaking with a current credit union employee. Refer to the separate Using Password Safe for CU*CD Archives internal document for instructions.